When you move into retirement, you may think that it is time to remodel your home to help you stay through retirement. Other words used to describe these design choices include aging in place” and “universal design.”
the Aging in place modifications allow you to stay in your home longer by taking into account the possible decreased strength, dexterity, or mobility that can occur over time. These reforms not only increase the accessibility of your home, universal design and aging-in-place features are increasingly in demand and may increase the resale value of your home.
because of the risk of slipping, bath remodeling is the most common renovation undertaken when aging in place is a factor. Slippery bathroom surfaces are a major concern for all, in order to deal with this can help to keep you safe, and help to prevent grandchildren from falling. Now, many companies make grab bars and equipment that is available without looking too utilitarian. Here are some common changes:
the Room as a Whole is Aging in Place Design Options:
• Put the toilet on the same floor as the master bedroom
• Install grab bars around the bathtub and toilet
• Add non-slip floor
• Ensure sufficient lighting
• Raise vanity/counter height
• Use a lever instead of button, knobs,
• Extend port
• Add extra space to maneuver a wheelchair
Sink, Aging in Place Design Options:
• Install faucets with lever handles
• Consider motion-activated faucets
• Hang up the mirror on the walls, giving more space for wheelchairs
• Use a temperature-controlled faucets
Toilet-Aging in Place Design Options:
• you Swap your desk for a extra-tall model or one with an adjustable seat
• Install grab bars in the vicinity
• Consider double rows of grab bars
• Add a toilet paper holder that can be changed with one hand.
• Add a security feature, such as a telephone/intercom nearby
shower/Bath with Shower Aging in Place Design Options:
• Look for a walk-in bathtub
• Replace your bathtub with a walk-in or shower
• Add a fold-down seat in the shower
• the Use of anti-scald faucet controls
• Ensure the right lighting
• Add an adjustable shower head (handheld or attached to a bar to allow sliding up and down)
• Install grab bars
Joaquin Erazo, Jr. is the Case with the handyman and Remodeling. Find a localbathroom remodeling companies near you!
Learn more about “http://www.caseremodeling.com/remodeling-info/bathroom-remodeling”>bath renovations at our site.
(c) 2010 Joaquin Erazo, Jr.