it Is possible to do a home remodeling project on a budget. You can even save money on future energy costs with the right design.
1. Use Imitation Materials: Wood floors and granite countertops are expensive, but you can get imitations-such as laminate floors – that are so close to the real thing that most people can’t say.
2. Refresh the Exterior: After you remodel, invest in new windows, a new coat of paint, a new front door or some landscaping. This can provide big dividends for a small price.
3. Re-use of Space: Instead of a big home addition, perhaps you can get what you want by re-using a room for a new purpose or by knocking down some walls to create a large area. For example, you can combine two smaller rooms into one large, or you can take out the wall between the kitchen and dining room to open the space.
4. Do-it-yourself: to discover what parts of the job that really requires a professional. You may not be up to installing plumbing pipes, but you can add insulation or paint walls.
5. Make Your Own Demolition: Demolition doesn’t require the same skills of construction. You need to take precautions, however, especially if you are taking out an interior wall.
6. Avoid Moving Plumbing: You can save the plumber’s fees.
7. Do not make Changes: Once you have started the home remodeling project, don’t try to change you. These are costly decisions.
8. Shop: Get quotes from several suppliers. Look around for materials and don’t forget to try the Internet.
9. Energy efficient: When you are remodeling, take the opportunity to add insulation on existing walls and attics. All of the windows you add must be efficient in terms of energy. The Installation of the windows and skylights will bring in natural light and save on electricity costs.
10. Install New HVAC: Evaluate your heating and air conditioning needs. You may need new HVAC equipment for your additional space, or you may want to take advantage of this opportunity to get more energy-efficient furnace or air conditioner. For a lot of savings, consider solar panels or a geothermal heat pump.
Joaquin Erazo, Jr. is the senior vice president for marketing and public relations at Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. Find a home remodeling company near you or read our home remodeling tips blog.